This article is a loose argument related to trust scarcity in social organization games. Rewarding trust in a social game is a difficult thing to do unless certain agreements and institutions are in place.
The Social Value Game
Social Flights will be introducing some game mechanics to provide incentive for people to interact with each other to form specific flight plans This will also include vendors and operators who would support their travel intentions with goods and services.
We want to dis-aggregate the incentives from a specific flight; in other words, a player does not necessarily have to be on the flight in order to receive a benefit from organizing it.
As the game develops, all players will simply keep an eye out for travel opportunities for trusted others in their social media experience. By helping their social circles to find travel opportunities, they will receive rewards which they can use when their own “perfect flight” begins to form.
Technology is not yet here, but getting close…
I would like to think that the technology has arrived which will allow people to form flights in social media, unfortunately, this is not the case. The problem is that big data has become big business. Social media platforms are funded with Data Dollars – that is, organizations who capture, combine, sell, or otherwise exploit personal data and trends in exchange for money.
Spiral of trust
When a person states their intention to fly to a distant place, this creates immensely valuable data. Such information is highly specific and even quite intimate because people share their hopes, dreams, and aspirations when they meet, travel, learn together. For this reason, Social Flights game data will be scarce, remain private, anonymized, or normalized so that it can remain in play indefinitely. There needs to be a great deal of trust in that network and, in fact, a disincentive to casting a broad public net.
Trust as Raw Material:
- Social Flights has an internal social network that allows people to communicate anonymously
- Travel Tribe Leaders are trusted members in a community who operates with trust, integrity, and respect
- Game mechanics can dis-aggregate intentions from specific flights
- Game data will normalize outcomes into “probabilities” that mask mask social data as numerical data for future games
- New Social Media applications allow users to form travel circles of trusted persons with whom they are willing to share flight plan intentions